How to build your self-confidence? We all have struggled with self-confidence at some point of time in our lives and we’ve told ourselves if only I was a little more confident I could have achieved a lot more in life but the good news is that confidence is a skill and not an inborn talent and I’m going to tell you that how you can go about acquiring it. Now let’s begin by understanding what is self-confidence, self-confidence is your trust on your abilities your trust in your being able to carry out a particular task it could be a small task like riding a bicycle, going to a supermarket, or even exploring some new features on your smartphone, or it could be a bigger task like clearing an exam or an interview. Self-confidence is your trust in your ability to accomplish that particular task but the question is where is this trust going to come from so in this article, I’m going to give you five secrets to become self-confident and one bonus tip.
How To Build Your Self- Confidence
Also, Check- Top 5 Habits of Successful Students
1. Recognize Your Super Power
- The first and best way for you to get your self-confidence back is to recognize that you are indeed special you are that superman, the supergirl, or the spiderman.
- The second way to get your self-confidence back is to reclaim the magic wand. The source of your self-confidence should not lie with somebody else, the truest and only source of power is that which comes from within.
- And, the third thing you need to do to recognize your superpower is to make an honest assessment of your strengths and weaknesses, just like spider-man can build webs but he’s not fireproof just like that you have a unique strength and you also have a weakness or two now it’s honest enough for us to write down maybe what is it that can take us up and down one great source of self-confidence is to know what our mojo is and what is our Achilles heel so while you want to be honest about your strengths and weaknesses remember that you are indeed that superpower.
2. Eliminate The Villain
- The first one is our negative self-talk, observe yourself how you pull yourself down on certain occasions like I don’t think I’m gonna clear this exam so why even bother to prepare or I’m so underprepared there’s no way I’m gonna get through or I just look so terrible nobody’s gonna select me in that interview, our thoughts influence our actions. Now I’m not saying that you should be walking around like Muhammad Ali saying I’m the greatest but at least stop destroying your self-confidence and disqualifying your self before every bout.
- The second villain is negative people, the kryptonite for Superman the negative thoughts from his past that were his weakness. now get rid of negative people remove them from your sphere of attention and don’t let someone else approval dictate your happiness and course of action keep telling yourself that you are going to change your own destiny.
3. Practice, Practice, Practice
- The first one is trying a proxy. Let’s say you’re afraid of taking up a sales job, how about in your college you work for the college festival team and go about trying to sell tickets or sponsorships but one word of caution here don’t hide behind a proxy and keep elevating the game and making the challenge harder for yourself.
- Tip number two is to write an achievements diary. How about you sit down and write everything that you’ve achieved everything you’re good at and all your strengths every single day and I suggest every Sunday pick up your diary and read it for 15 minutes it could be small things like you tried something new and you made a mistake but you learned from it. It need not be a huge big accomplishment but the little things in life are the ones that can feed your self-confidence sometimes the most.
- And within a practice, practice, practice tip number three does one thing that scares you every week, get out of your comfort zone to feel the pressure after all pressure builds diamonds.
4. Talk To More People
Talk to your seniors, help out your juniors, walk up to your professors, and talk to them schedule a meeting with them you can just have a casual conversation with them not only that, talk to a variety of people talk to your librarian talk to the uber driver. Now, this not only improves your social skills and your relationship skills it also increases empathy and builds self-confidence now within this overall theme of talking to more people I think you should try to help more people and this builds self-confidence in a number of ways. Firstly, it removes the focus from yourself and shifts the focus on to this other person who sometimes may be in a position worse off than you which brings out feelings of gratitude and therefore confidence, another thing it does is that when you help people you talk to them you listen to them you smile at the people, in turn, start to like you and that raises your level of endorphins and your self-confidence and trust in yourself you think hey if so many people can like me suddenly I can have more trust on my abilities to perform a certain task and I can be more self-confident.
5. Feed The Brain
Now imagine you’re flying in a plane and suddenly the plane starts going down and there’s an announcement that says who can fly this plane and a small voice from the back says I can I’m feeling confident. Now well it doesn’t work like that confidence has to be backed up by skills knowledge and experience to be a lasting source of self-confidence. I find reading books to be a great source of self-confidence because it not only gives you knowledge it helps you make better conversations with people and it keeps you well-informed.
Bonus Tip: Write Your Own Personal Commercial
How about you give yourself a motivating speech once every few days on all your accomplishments your greatest strengths. Keeping in mind that you are here to perform a unique mission and going back to your mojo, your strength, and keep reminding yourself of how good you are and how capable you are, you can use your achievement diary for example to make this personal commercial and whenever you’re feeling low sing a little jingle to yourself about how great you are and keeping in mind that when you’re helping others and you’re performing your special mission with a great amount of self-confidence. You’re going to be indeed that superman or supergirl or spiderman that’s gonna change this world so go for it and don’t let anyone stop you and remember that self-confidence is a process it’s not a singular achievement but it’s something that you increase every single day of your life.